Horn Lessons and Studio Class Syllabus
Hazel Dean Davis, Faculty of Horn
Email or Text preferred, but you may call if you cannot otherwise get ahold of me.
The objectives of horn lessons and studio class are to give students the opportunity to learn and to practice under careful supervision the techniques for mastery of music fundamentals, horn technique, and expressive performance. Lessons and studio class will focus on fundamentals of technique and sound, excerpts from the standard orchestral repertoire, audition preparation, and the solo and chamber music repertoire for horn. High and low playing will be covered, as well as ensemble and section playing.
13 lessons, generally bi-weekly double length lessons
13 hours of Studio class: 2 hour studio classes, generally bi-weekly
Students must come prepared to lessons and studio, and come ready to learn with a good attitude.
Students should be prepared to play in every studio class. Students will be expected to play in class as well as critique and comment on each other’s playing. The pre-study of recordings may be required before certain studio classes.
Students must perform a minimum of one time on a Thursday Recital, twice if you are a horn performance major. A solo recital is required for Seniors.
Mid-term mock audition in studio class, date to be determined
Jury performance each semester
Attendance at at least 6 music performances each semester is required, at least one of which must be a non-student concert or recital. Attending the Boston Symphony is encouraged.
Required Texts and Materials:
Student must bring horn and applicable music to each lesson and studio class. All horn players must own straight mutes, and basic supplies for horn maintenance (oils, grease, cleaning snake, etc.). A stop mute is suggested. Each student will be required to purchase, print legally off IMSLP, or borrow from the library all music as instructed. Music requirements will be tailored to each student, but students are encouraged to buy or get from the library:
Kopprasch book 1 and 2
Gallay Etudes for Second Horn
Mozart Horn Concertos
Richard Strauss Horn Concerto 1
In case of illness or emergency (lack of preparation does not count!), a lesson may be rescheduled if arrangements are made at least 24 hours in advance and the instructor approves the change. Lessons missed or cancelled with less than 24 hours notice are not made up. Lessons missed due to absence of the instructor will be rescheduled. On weeks that the instructor has other obligations, an alternate date and time that will be offered. Students will be notified at least 1 week in advance whenever possible, and every effort will be made to find a mutually acceptable time.
50%-Lesson and Studio preparation, attitude, and improvement
20%-Performance quality at studio master classes, mock auditions, and recitals.
Information regarding hearing health and safety may be found at this link: http://cola.unh.edu/music/health-safety
Academic Honesty is a core value at the University of New Hampshire. Please spend a few minutes taking this plagiarism tutorial. It gives helpful examples on what is and is not considered plagiarism. http://cola.unh.edu/plagiarism-tutorial-
Lesson and Studio Dates
These are preliminary and subject to change. This list is kept up to date so check here often!
- January 24: Lessons and 4-6 Studio
- Warm Ups, Routines, Daily practice, Kopprasch
- February 14: Lessons and 4-6 Studio
- Harmonic Series and the Path; High Range, Accuracy, Lip Trills
- February 21: Lessons, studio cancelled due to illnesses
- March 7: Lessons and 4-6 Studio
- Section Playing, Low range, flexibility, articulation
- Excerpt Class 1: Shostakovich 5, Beethoven 3
- March 21: Lessons and 4-6 Studio, Dress for M recital
- Excerpt Class 2: Brahms 3, Ravel Pavane
- March 28: Lessons and 4-6 Studio
- Mozart class: concertos and duets; Prep for Thursday recital
- March 28: Lessons and 4-6 Studio
- Prep for Thursday recitals, Rep Sectional
- April 15 (Sunday): Lessons and 1 hour studio: Guest Teacher Nick Auer
- April 25: Lessons and Studio 4-6
- Mock Audition: Prepare the above excerpts and your jury solo,
- May 2: Make up lessons/studio if needed
- TBD as needed
- May Juries TBD